Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Steroid Debate: Manny Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather, Shane Mosley


During 2010, the issue of steroids became a hot topic in boxing.

For the second time, a lucrative bout between six-time titlist Floyd Mayweather (41-0, 25 knockouts) and eight-division king, Manny Pacquiao (52-3-2, 38 KOs), holder of the WBO welterweight and WBC junior middleweight belts, reached a negotiations impasse over the issue.

To test or not to test. That was the general debate.

For the first time in the sport's history, Mayweather and five-time champion, Shane Mosley (46-6-1, 39 KOs) were subject to Olympic style drug testing of both blood and urine by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) prior to Mayweather's unanimous decision victory in May. Prior to that, only urine had been examined in boxing.

Reportedly a past user of the painkilling medicine, Xylocaine, to numb his hands, Mayweather was defended by his adviser, Leonard Ellerbe, who insisted that the fighter no longer used the substance and that his problem had been remedied by hand-wrapping guru, Rafael Garcia.

Former Nevada State Athletic Commission doctor, Margaret Goodman (pictured below, at right), advocates that blood testing, though expensive, is feasible for boxing and included it among her15 ways to improve the sport.

If it meant enforcing stricter guidelines for boxing, USADA executive chief, Travis Tygart, told FanHouse that he would embrace the opportunity to work with BALCO founder, Victor Conte(pictured below, at left), whom Tygart once referred to as, "The Evil Chemist."

In 2003, Mosley admitted to injecting the steroids, "the cream," and, "the clear," but says that he did so unknowingly after having been supplied the drugs by Conte through a relationship with his former strength trainer, Daryl Hudson. 




Although Mosley recently dropped what had been an ongoing defamation suit against Conte, Golden Boy Promotions' CEO, Richard Schaefer, still is named in a suit by Pacquiao which seeks compensatory and punitive damages for defamation of character.

The lawsuit also names Mayweather, Golden Boy Promotions president, Oscar De La Hoya, Floyd Mayweather Sr., and Mayweather's uncle and trainer, Roger Mayweather, for their alleged accusations of steroid use by Pacquiao.

Acting on behalf of Schaefer against Pacquiao, and, Mosley against Conte, attorney Judd Bursteinraised eyebrows when he said, "I don't think that Jesus Christ could come down off of the cross and win Manny's case against Richard and Oscar," and, "I've already said that my dog could win that case [against Conte] for Shane."

Conte countered that Mosley's story "doesn't pass the smell test," adding "I call this the Marion Jones case with boxing gloves."

In separate posts that appeared on BoxingScene.com and FanHouse, WBA junior middleweight (140 pounds) junior welterweight king Amir Khan (24-1, 17 KOs) publicly defended himself and Pacquiao against notions that they have been supplied performance enhancing drugs (PED's) by strength trainer Alex Ariza.

Although he no longer continues to do so, former IBF junior welterweight (140 pounds) king Paulie Malignaggi (28-4, six KOs) once espoused his belief that Pacquiao has used PED's. Pacquiao is scheduled to pursue his 14th straight win and his ninth knockout during that run in an HBO pay per view televised, Top Rank Promotions WBO welterweight title bout opposite Mosley on May 7. 



Below are the some of the most quotable assertions dealing with boxing and steroids culled from the FanHouse archives.

Manny Pacquiao's statement regarding blood testing:
There seems to be concern from numerous members of the sports industry -- from writers to reporters, even other athletes, regarding why I am concerned with random blood testing.

As I have stated before, I have never used anabolic steroids nor do I even know what they look like. I view using steroids, synthetic growth hormone, or any other illegal or banned substance as cheating.

I would never cheat this sport that I love. I would never cheat the legacies of the great champions I have been blessed to challenge.

I would never do anything to cheat such great champions as Miguel Cotto, Ricky Hatton, all of the Mexican warriors that I have been blessed to go into the ring and do battle with.

My concern as a fighter is that there should be some limitations and agreements on how much blood they can take from someone prior to a fight.

My other concern is how close to the actual fight itself can they take the blood. It is my opinion that taking blood from a person can weaken you.

I do not want to be in a weakened state when I enter the ring against any fighter. My concern has never been with someone randomly checking me with regards to blood or urine.

I volunteered immediately to have my urine tested anytime someone wanted to -- all the way up to the time I am walking into the ring. 


It was later brought to my attention and the attention of my staff that you can not test for synthetic growth hormone through urine; you could only detect synthetic growth hormone through blood tests.

Before all of these blood-testing and demands from other people, I had never even heard of synthetic growth hormone. I have never seen it before nor have I ever used it. 



Paulie Malignaggi (pictured below, at far right) on Manny Pacquiao:
It's a joke. The biggest criticism is, 'Oh, people know about Manny Pacquiao, but he never failed a drug test.' What drug test didn't he fail?

That is the lamest, sorriest drug
 test that you can give in any pro sports, is the one that they give in boxing. It's a bulls***-a**ed drug test that any little high schooler could pass.
There's so many ways to beat that test. It's a f***ing joke, man. And then, the people say, 'Oh, there should be no criticism, because, mind you, he's never failed a drug test.'

That doesn't prove anything. Anybody can beat that drug test.
 When he passes the tough drug test, the one that's meant to catch you, then I'll give him some credit.

But guess what man? If he passes that drug test, you're not going to see him looking like [he does.] That's a big difference in the whole thing.

If he's forced to take that drug test, and it makes a major difference in Manny Pacquiao's career performances, and he would drastically drop off in value.


People can say what they want, but one thing that Floyd Mayweather's got to be given credit for is that he forced Shane Mosley to take that drug test.


And then, Floyd Mayweather went and signed the contract to fight him. But all the people that said, 'Oh, you know what? Floyd never would have fought Manny Pacquiao anyway.'

And, 'If he [Pacquiao,] would have agreed to the drug test, Floyd would have come up with something else.' No he wouldn't have.

He wanted to make sure that he wasn't fighting a cheater. He made Shane Mosley agree to the test, Shane Mosley agreed to the test, and guess what?

We have Floyd Mayweather vs. Shane Mosley on May 1.
 Manny Pacquiao is in a position where you can make so much money, that some guys are going to fight him anyway.

Joshua Clottey is going to fight him anyway because he's never made that kind of money before. And if they had offered me the fight, honestly, I probably would have fought him anyway.

Because I had never made that kind of money before.
 But that doesn't make it right. Not if you want to even the playing field.

When you even the playing field, Manny Pacquiao doesn't even belong in the welterweight division. And you would see that if the drug tests were legitimate.

Because he would be totally out of his class fighting welterweights. Manny Pacquiao is a guy who belongs nowhere near the welterweight division.
 With this guy, it's so blatantly obvious, I have to say something.


Amir Khan (above, center) defends himself and Pacquiao: 
It is hurtful. I am drug-tested and have never tested positive because I am so clean. I don't even drink. I would never, ever take a banned substance.

I would never cheat in sport. Why would I want to cheat in sport or take drugs? I am too scared to take something like that because I train so hard and my body is so fit.

I have been hit by Manny Pacquiao's best shot and not gone down. I have seen his speed and power and still think he is a normal, clean fighter who is not on drugs.

Manny is wary of any drugs and dislikes injections of any kind. We were in a car a few months ago in the ­Philippines -- me, him and [strength trainer] Alex Ariza.

I said 'Manny, when will you fight Floyd Mayweather?' He said, 'He don't want to fight me.' I joked, 'Get off them drugs then,' and he replied, 'Amir, I will never take a drug in my life.

But when Mayweather is demanding I take tests every day, it is mental and I'm not ready for that.'


Shane Mosley on Mayweather's insistence on drug testing:
What's weird to me is that everybody on his whole team, all of his security guards, they look like they're on steroids. They all look like they're on 'roids, and I don't understand it.

I mean, why does he [Mayweather] keep saying, 'Steroids, steroids, steroids.' And, you know, I notice that Floyd always shaves his head, all of the time. His head is shaved.

His head is starting to look a little bigger. You know? Maybe, I mean, he has all of these people around him that's on steroids, maybe he dibbles and dabbles a little bit.

The guy that keeps talking. You know, the guys that usually talk about it all of the time, 'Oh, steroids, steroids, steroids, oh, oh.' They're usually the ones on it.

-FanHouse



No comments:

Post a Comment